Crowded and crooked teeth – who wants them? Nobody, but most of us have them. If your teeth are aligned properly and not crowded, they can last you a lifetime. If not they can cause you a myriad of problems, that goes beyond just aesthetics.
Of course, prevention is always best, so if you have a child and you’re noticing any of the following issues, then it might be time to give us a visit:
- Thumb sucking
- Tongue thrusting
- Reverse swallowing
- Snoring at night
- Breathing through their mouths more often than their noses
- Newly erupted teeth coming through when there seems to be no room
Overcrowded teeth in adults
If you’re an adult with crowded teeth, we recommend exploring cosmetic dentistry options to boost your confidence and improve your overall hygiene.
So why are crowded teeth such a big problem?
- Apart from crowded teeth causing aesthetic issues, they can be damn hard to actually clean properly!
- There can be an increased buildup of bacteria leading to:
- Bad breath
- Gum disease or “ gingivitis”, which leads to periodontal disease as well as tooth decay
- Premature tooth wear
- Tooth sensitivity due to the abnormal forces placed on the teeth
- Fractures of teeth
- Jaw problems
- Sleep problems such as sleep apnoea
- Early tooth loss
The importance of seeking treatment
Fixing this issue early on is highly beneficial for your health, image, comfort, and finances! We recommend seeking treatment from a qualified dentist because:
- Early intervention and fixing this problem can mean lower dental costs later in life
- Make it easier to clean your teeth, in turn keeping your teeth looking their best and increasing your confidence with a beautiful smile!
- Benefit your overall general health as you’re able to keep bacteria out of your mouth and the rest of your body
- Decrease the chances of jaw pain and other issues
- Reduce the likelihood of tooth decay, gum disease, and the need for major dental work
What treatments are available?
There is a variety of treatments on offer for adults, teens, and children suffering from overcrowded or crooked teeth. The best option for you depends on the severity of your situation, and your dentist can advise you.
This option is available to most children and even adults with moderate to severe crowding. Nowadays there are clear/white braces options available and they can sometimes be placed on the inside of the teeth for maximum discretion. Although some adults are initially reluctant to have braces applied, they are a great way to straighten teeth and get long term amazing results.
These are clear aligners that are removable and used to gradually straighten teeth. Treatment consists of a series of removable aligners and can be used to treat mild cases of misaligned and crowded teeth.
Can be used in certain circumstances to treat moderate cases of dental crowding in adults. They are thin, customised shells of tooth-colored materials that fit over the front of the teeth to improve the appearance of your smile. In more severe cases, veneers might be placed after having other treatments such as orthodontic braces or Invisalign.
Book an appointment
Nowadays, we have plenty of options to fix crowded and misaligned teeth, so children and adults around Melbourne can feel confident in their smile. We’d be happy to discuss your available options, so give us a call on (03) 9804 7710 to book an appointment.